Monday, July 29, 2013

Bite My Tounge




There are times as a pastor's wife that I need to bite my tongue. I know that some things are not worth stirring up and that the situation will resolve itself, more times than not, with time and patience. The hardest times for me are when things are said about my husband, that are not true, and my wife defenses want to stand up to scream to defend him.

I'm not saying that pastor's are perfect. I'm not saying that they don't make mistakes. I know that they are just as human as the rest of us. They live in glass houses, though, and are scrutinized and judged more than anyone can imagine. We spouses have some of that but we can escape behind the curtain in the glass house. But it never seems to be pulled for the pastor.

I have seen my husband go through some tough things in our marriage. Life is not always fair. But he has always held his head up and remained strong, maybe just for me, but he never seems to lose his way and can always see that things will be better tomorrow.

 I do have to admit that there is one thing that does seem to bring him down a little and that is when his motives are being questioned. He does not do anything in a rash manner and thinks everything through. Sometimes this drives me crazy because there I times I want to lead with my emotions and do not want to think things through. But he never wants to do anything that would bring shame to the Lord. He is a good good man.

Every minister that I have ever known, who truly is doing the work of the Lord, is the same in this. They know that what they are doing is something they feel God is telling them to do. They all have such hard times when what they are doing is called into question.

I can't do much, except pray, about the other pastors. But I, as Rodney's wife, can and will support him whole heartedly. Because I know his heart. I know his love for his savior. I know his love for his family. I know his love for his country. And I know his love for his flock!!  He is, without a doubt, the kind of man God has called him to be!  

One thing I do, when he is saddened is to go to God and seek a gentle word to say to my husband. Also I remind Rodney that as he leads he is never alone. Of course he has me, but I really mean God. I remind him (although he already knows) that He will help and see him through. Moses reminded Joshua of the very same thing......


Deuteronomy 31:7-8

Common English Bible (CEB)
Then Moses called Joshua and, with all Israel watching, said to him: “Be strong and fearless because you are the one who will lead[a] this people to the land the Lord swore to their ancestors to give to them; you are the one who will divide up the land for them. But the Lord is the one who is marching before you! He is the one who will be with you! He won’t let you down. He won’t abandon you. So don’t be afraid or scared!”



It is amazing to be with Rodney in the ministry. It is amazing to see how he is being used to lead others as they show the love of Christ. It is amazing to watch as God goes before him and protects and directs him. I know he and I wouldn't trade this life for anything, glass house and all. But because I love him so fiercely, sometimes I do have to bite my tongue!!!


Blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment