Friday, July 12, 2013

Don't Forget

Today was our last work day on our Mission Trip. Tomorrow we get to have fun by going to the zoo and having a community picnic.

The house got finished being painted today and the can goods were all put in the correct places for the food pantry. That left us with a little free time so we decided to go to the local nursing home and have a visit with the residents there.

Again our kids stepped up to the plate and made us proud. They got right in there and sang and talked and read to the elderly folks, who had just finished lunch and were ready to have a little entertainment.

I was with a few girls that helped me wander into some of the rooms where these folks couldn't or wouldn't leave their rooms. We had some small talk with some but actually got to sing for one sweet lady. 

As we were starting to wind down with the visit, I wandered off by myself for a little bit and met a forlorn little lady that wanted to be pushed back to her room. So I did. On the way back she confided in me that maybe she had had an accident. So I found a nurse and ask her, when she got a chance, could she please come help my new friend. While we were waiting for the nurse we got to talking about a bunch of stuff.

old people photography wisdomOne thing that came out was that she couldn't understand why God was keeping her alive. She said " I don't have anything to give to anyone any more except being a burden". Made me sad for her. I told her that one thing she did for me was to make my day complete by my just getting to learn from her history. She smiled at that. I hope I helped her to feel a little more appreciated.

Our kids seemed to understand what this time did for these wise and maybe a little forgetful people, who have gone before us and paved our way to a better world. I think they realized how sad and forgotten most of them have become. Maybe it will help them as we move back into our daily routines to maybe want to stop at the nursing homes in our area and spread a little happiness there too,

It shouldn't have to be just our youth, though, who are responsible to be there for these neglected citizens. All of us should remember that our elderly need our love and definitely our respect, for all the living they have done. To be sure, they have a lot to teach us if we listen.

Scriptures have something to say about this....

The elderly are easily forgotten, especially those without caring families. The church is called to honor those who have been faithful servants by maintaining relationships with them and helping them when they are in need.

1 Timothy 5:8B

The Voice (VOICE)


I hope my sweet little lady went to bed tonight a little happier for our time spent together today. I know I will.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment