Thursday, July 11, 2013

Green Beans



"Can I have some green beans?" That is what a small boy ask me today.

I know tons of people who don't even like green beans or could just take them or leave them. Most of us, probably, take it for granted that we can go to our pantries and get out a can if we want some or snap some fresh ones, if we so desire.

This little boy, today, had huge, gorgeous brown eyes.  You should have seen how wide they got when I told him he could have as many cans of green beans as he wanted. He actually started tearing up, which of course got me to doing the same.

How blessed are most of us?  We usually have all the food we want. Probably more than we need. We don't even think about this gift from God that we have. This ability to feed ourselves whenever we are hungry.

The mission trip that our youth are on this week has really been an eye opening experience for the adults and even more importantly, our kids.  

Feeding the people was something that was so close to our Savior's heart. He wanted to fill folk's souls as well as their stomach's. Christ showed so much care and love everywhere He went.

At the beginning of this week the Bishop spoke to the youth about this very subject and read to them this scripture.....

Matthew 25:40

The Voice (VOICE)
40 I tell you this: whenever you saw a brother or sister hungry or cold, whatever you did to the least of these, so you did to Me.

As we sat and listened to him speak that night, I know we were inspired by his words. But I don't think we realized just how close they were going to hit home for us, this week. 

It is so amazing how God puts us right where He wants us and then uses us for His purpose. The angels who run this pantry and lunch program have definitely been used by God for their community! And now, even if it has been just been for a little while, we have been lucky enough to get to have a small part of His plan, for this community, too!

That little boy also grabbed some fruit and pasta and even some corn, but he left with a whole bag of green beans and the hugest smile on his face. 

I hope that I never forget this day. I hope I never forget the joy on his face. But I hope, most of all, that this child saw a little bit of Christ's love in the smile on mine. 


Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment