Monday, October 21, 2013

Where have you been?

I was asked this question the other day. It has been quite a few days since I have gotten to sit down and write a blog. Life has been a little crazy just lately.  Rodney was in Guatemala and I had a Craft Show that I had some things in. Then, of course there were things to do at the church. 

Of course I allowed some of the crazy schedule to happen to me. I sometimes have trouble saying no. Hey, sometimes I just don't want to say no. I enjoy doing some of the things I do and am willing to be busy. But is it for my gratification or the Lord's?  

Don't get me wrong. It is OK to enjoy the activities that are in our life. I don't think that we would find ourselves in the places we find ourselves in, without some Divine intervention. I'm sure that God wants us to do our best in the legitimate and goodly places and jobs we are involved in. We are to shine Him in everything we do. But if you are like me, sometimes, I think we are doing things just to look good or to impress others around us. 


This kind of busyness just makes us exhausted and worn out. We take our eyes off of the mission we are on and turn our thoughts inward. The Bible Study from our ladies group took us, this week, to the passage in Luke 10 where Martha and Mary had Jesus come to their house. During His visit Mary sat at His feet listening to His every word, but Martha was running around like a chicken with her head cut off trying to make everything perfect. She didn't feel free to sit with Mary. This made her unhappy and distracted. She felt like she was missing something and of course she was.

Not everything in our lives has to be perfect. Things can be "good".  Sometimes we just need to sit at the feet of our creator and listen, not try to rearrange the whole world. 

Hey I am talking to me more than anyone, so today I made myself take a day of rest. I needed to refresh and to catch up on a bit of quiet. It has done a world of good on my joints and my mood. It helped me stop worrying about getting everything perfect and to refocus on what my priorities truly need to be.

This passage in Philippians really spoke to me as I read it today...

Philippians 4:6-7

The Message (MSG)
6-7 Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

So, ladies, don't forget that we are human. Perfection is a very hard thing for us to reach. So instead of trying to do it all and then fretting when you can't, make sure that whatever you are up to, it is for the glory of God and not the glory of you.

Then we can stop fretting and let God give us the peace of knowing that what we are doing is "good" and really going to make a difference without wearing and stressing us to the point of frustration, disappointment and exhaustion.

If your remember, even God rested!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment