Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Where are all the socks?

I was doing my favorite household chore today. You guessed it, laundry. You all know by now how I really feel about sorting, folding and putting everything away. It just seems like I never catch up. Which I'm sure all you ladies feel the same.  Especially if you have a teenager in the house who wears at least two outfits everyday and who thinks if he wore something for 5 minutes it is dirty.

Oh well, please forgive my whining! 

But I do wonder about a phenomenon that happens every laundry day. Where do all the missing socks go? I mean, I empty out the baskets and pick up all clothes that are on Riley's bedroom floor. Seems like I have everything that is dirty but no matter what, in all the years I have done laundry, I always have a couple of missing socks.

Have you ever heard Steve Taylor's song....Sock Heaven?
Here are a few lines from the song.....

Out of the wringer
Into the dryer
Spins the clothes higher
Squeezing out static and shocks
Little stockings
Tumbling 'round together
Couldn't cling forever
Now I'm missing one of my socks
Lord, where do they go?
One pile waits with their god in a box
The other pile nervously mocks heaven
Misfits lost in the dryer, take heart
Maybe there's a place up in sock heaven

This is a little bit of a strange song. but the message is kind of what I am thinking. What are the socks doing and where in the world are they?

I hold on to hope that the missing will turn up so I keep the singles in a basket on the shelf above the dryer. After a while the pile gets too big for the basket and it is time to let go of that hope and throw out the sad, one and only's.

About this time Rodney and I have gone out and gotten some new socks. And of course the whole cycle starts all over again.

We people are a lot like this. Not that we lose half of ourselves but we do lose our purpose sometimes. God waits patiently on us to get back on track. Lets us sit for awhile in the basket on the shelf. Thank goodness he doesn't throw us out but he does redirect and lets us start again and again till we find the path we were supposed to be on. When we do get it right we feel quite complete and all together. Nothing missing within us.

Reminds me of this scripture in Romans......


Romans 5:1 The Message (MSG)

Developing Patience

5 1-2 By entering through faith into what God has always wanted to do for us—set us right with him, make us fit for him—we have it all together with God because of our Master Jesus. And that’s not all: We throw open our doors to God and discover at the same moment that he has already thrown open his door to us. We find ourselves standing where we always hoped we might stand—out in the wide open spaces of God’s grace and glory, standing tall and shouting our praise.



Do you feel like something is missing? Get out of the basket, Live in God's grace and feel complete!


Blessings!


PS:

Here is a link to the video.....to all of "Sock Heaven" 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTYCW0k_zd0




No comments:

Post a Comment