Thursday, May 9, 2013

Stretching our Abilities

This last weekend I was installed as the treasurer of a local charity that our church supports. Now, I have never really considered myself to be a numbers person. I can add and subtract, of course, but math was just never my favorite subject.

The person whom I am replacing has been the treasure for 15 years and is very organized. When I first started feeling like I should do this job I thought God must be crazy to be laying this on my heart. I just didn't feel adequate for the job. The feeling, however, would not go away. It became stronger and stronger.  

Then one Sunday Rodney preached on this very thing. Well not the actual charity, but on God trying to get us out of our comfort zones and getting us to grow and stretch ourselves in the work that we have been called to do. 

That was the Sunday I couldn't hold back on this anymore.  I mentioned my feelings to the outgoing treasurer and that was all it took. The board jumped on this and before you knew it I was elected. 

Have you ever had something that keeps coming to mind and it just won't go away? What do you think that is? I think it is the Holy Spirit nudging you and getting you ready to step up to the plate for the next thing in your life. Sometimes we are in denial about our feelings, sometimes we can't wait to get started and, like me, sometimes you think that God has gone crazy.

But you know what? God will not call you to something that He won't help you through. I love this passage from Isaiah.....


Isaiah 41:9-10
Common English Bible (CEB)

9b “You are my servant;
I chose you and didn’t reject you”:
10 Don’t fear, because I am with you;
don’t be afraid, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
I will surely help you;
I will hold you
with my righteous strong hand.


Also my favorite verse, of the whole Bible, comes to mind....  

Philippians 4:13

New International Version (NIV)
13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.


These are wonderful reminders that if God calls you to anything, He will not desert you after you get there. He will hold on to you and help you through the challenges of learning new and different things.





I pray that you, and I pray that I, remember these passages as we move ahead into our new adventures. Who knows we might learn something about ourselves and realize that we are stronger and smarter and wiser than we ever knew. 



Of course God has known this all along!!!


Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment