Friday, August 9, 2013

Keep it or not?







We are getting ready for a church wide Rummage Sale. The proceeds will be used to fund some much needed projects in the building. Our church members are allowed to donate to the sale as well.  It is amazing to watch the items coming in. All of us certainly have tons of things that we do not use or even need.

I know that Rodney and I have been moving items through out the years that just keep getting packed up and moved every time we need to relocate. But we never even seem to notice the things while we are settled. So today I am determined to put all this stuff into the rummage sale. 

I should be so motivated to get this done, but for some reason I am not. Is it just the thought of all the work or is it that I really don't want to let go? There will be memories of adventures that go along with acquiring all the items. Maybe that is what is bothering me. I wonder why we as a people think that our stuff is what makes us who we are. That something in us will go missing if we do not have these things. 

The scriptures remind us that all that we have, and all that we are, are from God and not to be thought as "look at all that I have". 


1 Corinthians 4:7b

The Message (MSG)

Isn’t everything you have and everything you are sheer gifts from God? So what’s the point of all this comparing and competing? You already have all you need.


I know that our pack rat family, as I look at all this stuff, certainly needs to be reminded of this. I bet I fill up the car a couple of times before I am done delivering things to the sale.  Maybe all the work of this will instill the need to change my family's ways on this. I pray that that is true!

Well time to get to work.....

Blessings!

   





No comments:

Post a Comment