Thursday, June 6, 2013

Change The World

Rodney and I are at the United Methodist Indiana Conference this week. Maybe I am a tad weird but I just love being here. I can hardly wait to get here every year. I love all of us, with like mind, coming together, planning, voting and getting business done . I take comfort from how we have some of the same rituals every year. Especially where we have a special remembrance service for the pastors or their spouses that have passed away since the last time we met. 


Seeing the thousands of Methodists all together in the same hall, worshiping, gives me chills. 

Our theme this year is "Be A World Changer". As I was sitting there tonight, it struck me that this probably means something different to each of us that were in the room.

Some were probably thinking of feeding the hungry, others were thinking of helping the oppressed, others thought of recycling and being good stewards of the resources of this earth.

I love what Mother Teresa said about change..."I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples"

 – Mahatma Gandhi was quoted as saying this about change..."We must become the change we wish to see in the world."

These two world changers had some great things to say about change but our best teacher on this was our Lord Jesus. Here was what he said in Matthew 5...

Salt and Light

 “Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? 
 “Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

Want to be a world changer? You can do it by feeding the hungry and protecting the innocent but most assuredly there is no better way to bring about change to the people of this world than by introducing them to the creator of it all. Let People see God in you as you show generosity with your time, your finances, your love for others around you. He is the one who can bring the peace everyone is is so desperately searching for. 

Go on...Change the world! 

Blessings!























No comments:

Post a Comment