Sunday, March 31, 2013

To wait or not to wait!

Good Friday was over. We had made it through the saddest day of the year. We hated being sad so the next thing we wanted was Easter Morning. The glorious celebration of the resurrection. The hope we all want and live for. 

But what happened to Holy Saturday. The day of praying and waiting? 

I know that I am not good at waiting for much. If I want to do something I usually just do it. I know that this drives Rodney crazy at times. He's a planner and a thinker. Has to take his time before doing almost anything. Not me. Gets me in trouble sometimes. Poor Rodney, I sure keep him on his toes.

Anyway, back to Holy Saturday. 

Luke 23:54-56

New English Translation (NET)


54 It was the day of preparation and the Sabbath was beginning. 55 The women who had accompanied Jesus from Galilee followed, and they saw the tomb and how his body was laid in it. 56 Then they returned and prepared aromatic spices and perfumes.
On the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment.


Holy Saturday is our day of preparation for Easter, and as I said before, it is our day of waiting and praying....or at least it is supposed to be. 

Our church set up a prayer vigil for this day. A day we could come to the foot of the cross and wait, for a time, prayerfully, for Easter to come. The sad thing of this is that very few came. Very few could settle down and rest for even a few minutes. 

I think we have forgotten how special this weekend is to our souls. Christmas is the start of this miracle, but Easter is the completion. 

Easter is wonderful but the only way to get to it from Good Friday is to go through Holy Saturday. It is good to be quiet at times. It is good to contemplate at times. Our world really does need to be at rest. We are always busy, always striving. How can we ever see and hear the miracles all around us if we never quiet down.

As a child my family and church never observed this day but since I have been married to Rodney we have.  I love that we do. It is good for us.  Maybe next year, if you missed it, you can slow down and sit at the foot of the empty cross too! Waiting.....



Easter Day is here now and boy was it worth the wait!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment